A very important part of weight loss is learning how and why your body functions the way it does. Crash or fad diets may work in the short term, but can cause long term frustration or even damage to the body. Losing weight is a personal journey and requires support for the mind, spirit, emotions and body. Speaking of the body, the thyroid is an important gland that plays a key role in weight management, hormones and many other functions of the body.
Did you know more than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime? Currently about 12 million Americans are estimated to have thyroid issues and not even know it.
Before you even set weight loss goals, get to know your thyroid. The thyroid is located in the front of the neck and can vary in performance – either balanced, over active, or under active. When out of balance, not only are hormones impacted, but also weight gain or loss. For many reasons, be sure to have annual thyroid checkups with your healthcare professional.
5 ways to naturally support thyroid performance.
- Sweat. Sweat is a good thing. If you can do it daily that’s amazing – otherwise aim for a few days each week
- Lemon. Drink room temperature water with ½ fresh squeezed lemon.
- Detox your home and life. Using natural cleaning and beauty products can drastically reduce the toxic load on your body and thyroid. Think of vinegar as your friend. Don’t like the smell, we have an oil for that. Add lemon or OnGuard essential oils to vinegar to increase your cleaning power and make your home smell amazing.
- Whole Foods. Switch away from deficient processed foods, such as white breads and sugars to nutrient rich, real, whole foods. Start somewhere. Every step counts for your health.
- Lemongrass and Myrrh essential oils. Both oils help the thyroid reach its peak performance, meaning they may be used to support balance, or for over active or under active situations. That’s amazing! Both may be used topically or diffused in the air. If choosing to apply topically, the general suggestion for children over 6 years and adults is to start with 1 drop of the essential oil mixed with coconut oil and gently rubbed over the thyroid. In cases of sensitive skin or not wishing to smell the oils, apply the 1 drop with coconut oil to the bottom of both feet. To give it a try, go to http://mydoterra.com/heathermckinney and reach out to me for more ideas and support.
Continue to Grow.Shine.Thrive. Check out my blog at Heather Mckinney.com and email me at Grow.Shine.Thrive@gmail.com. I’d love to hear from you. Let’s connect about essential oils and/or ways to naturally improve your performance at home, work and life.